Make it Happen – Create a Plan
Creating a plan is investing in your future. By writing down goals and laying out a plan of action, you are more likely to succeed – either by growing in your current position or progressing to a new one.
Check out this easy-to-use guide for more help on the Development Blueprint.
Discuss Your Plan with Your Manager – Here’s How...
Discussing your development and goals can be challenging; the more often you do it, the easier it becomes.
- Schedule time to meet with your manager (and/or Mentor) on a monthly basis to discuss your progress, any new goals and changes to your plan.
- Be prepared. You’re responsible for these meetings, so be prepared and know what you’d like to discuss. Bring your Development Blueprint Check-In Form to take notes.
- Use the Blueprint: This document was created to help you talk about your goals.
- Focus the conversation on behaviors and actions: What have you already achieved and would like to achieve in order to take it to the next level.
- Be specific: Expectations and results can become unclear when performance is discussed in general terms, so use specific examples such as:
- What was the situation?
- What impact did your actions have on the business and the customer? What did you learn?
- Ask your Manager to provide feedback and goals so they are clear to you both.
- Share your plan, AND learn what your manager’s plan is for you.
- Be open to feedback: No one wants to hear that they’re not fully developed and ready for the next role, but that’s why you’re having this conversation – to help you get there!
Ask Your Manager…
- What resources are available to help me be successful in this goal (such as job shadowing, mentoring, and training)?
- Do you agree and support the plan and goals I have outlined? What would you change, add or remove?
- What do you see as my next career opportunity or challenge?
- What feedback do you have regarding my progress towards [insert specific goal]?
- If you were me, what would you focus on?
Execute your plan and watch your goals become a reality!
Completing your plan is easier than it sounds, so…
- Commit to following the steps you outlined.
- Schedule time to work on your development. It helps if goals and action items are manageable with your current workload, so consult your manager.
- Be flexible; adjust your development plan as new goals and challenges are presented.
- Track your progress on the Development Blueprint.
- Celebrate your accomplishments and don’t be afraid to share them with your manager.